Saturday 7 April 2012

Willow Warbler

7th April - my first visit for a few days and with an overcast and grey morning I was, as ever, optimistic of finding something, but almost as ever, I didn't!

A Willow Warbler was new in for me and I think the first reported at the site this year - it was singing in the SE corner - always a great song to hear for the first time in Spring.

Otherwise, a Common Tern, not present when I arrived, flew in at about 7:20am and settled on the spit and 2 pairs of Shelduck were chasing each other all around the pit.  Wigeon appear to be down to a single male and plenty of hirundines - initially these were feeding over the river, but as the morning progressed they started to move through the lake and north.  A mixture of mainly Sand Martins, some Swallows and the odd House Martin.

A pair of Roe Deer were feeding around the reed bed at the base of the spit when I arrived, including a nice buck with velvety antlers and the pair of foxes also gallivanted around for a while putting up the gulls (mainly Herring) time and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment