Monday 21 April 2014

Playing catch up

I've just returned from holiday, hence the lack of updates.  Surprisingly, given that I was away for the first half of April, it doesn't appear that I have missed too much - at least from reported sightings! In fact, just House Martin and Common Tern to get back.

April 18th was my first visit to the lake after my break.  Common Tern and House Martin were soon seen with at least 4 of the former and around 10 of the latter amongst the Sand Martins and Swallows. There had obviously been a clear out of ducks whilst I was away.  The long staying Garganey had finally upped and left during the first week of April; all the Wigeon had departed, as too had the Shoveler and only a handful of Teal were left.  Kim D had seen a late pair of Pintail arrive the previous evening and this morning they were still dabbling around the main the island.  A walk around the lake found the usual Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs singing, with a couple of Willow Warblers.  In the SE corner, my first Sedge Warbler of the year was singing and seen in a lakeside willow.  This became my 100th species of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment