Wednesday 17 February 2016

Emmetts

16th February - a nice crisp and sunny day.  As part of my patch rounds, I walked around the farmland at Emmetts.  The Yellowhammers were much more in evidence than earlier visits, about 10 birds in all, none singing yet, but plenty of calls.  I couldn't resist taking a couple of shots of this male as he sat in the sun.



I also saw two Grey Partridges, a flock of about 60 Linnets a handful of Reed Buntings and a couple of over wintering Chiffchaffs fly catching from a hedge.

Earlier around the level crossing south of the lake, I had seen 4 Chiffchaffs together, so six in all on patch today.  They were flying to the ground in the meadow and then hovering to pick at presumed insects on the low vegetation.  The three Pintail from last week stayed a few days before the obvious pair departed leaving a solitary drake which is still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment