Monday 8 September 2014

Perseverance pays off

8th September - well all my checking of hedgerows and fence lines over the past few weeks finally paid off today when I found a female/immature type Redstart.  It was using a fence line to the north of the 'polo' field in Pump Lane and was happily flying down and up along it until it flushed into the nearby hedge when someone came to tend their horse.  Hopefully it will remain for a better photo opportunity, as my quick record was taken at a range of 260m, as measured on google maps - I'm amazed anything came out at all!


Edit:  It was still in the same place at lunchtime and I managed to get slightly closer for a more recognisable record.  It was also quite vocal, easily audible from where I was standing 100yds or so away.
 

 
 
Nearby in the paddocks, a Whinchat was also taking advantage of the fences and hedges - another poor record in strong sunlight at about 150m range.
 
 


Other birds noted were a flyover Yellow Wagtail, 5 Meadow Pipits and a couple of Whitethroats.

No comments:

Post a Comment