Wednesday 17 September 2014

Firecrest Lingers

17th September - I had only heard negative reports on the Firecrest since watching it last Friday, so assumed it had moved on and spent no time looking for it yesterday.  However, this morning, a bit of dejavu when no sooner had I left the car in the car park than I heard strident crest calls coming from the hedge by the crossroads.  A few moments later, the Firecrest appeared in the company of a Goldcrest.  I watched this beauty for a few minutes until it flew over the road and I continued my walk.  An unexpected sighting, which means that it has been present for at least 6 days, which is odd for an Autumn migrant - maybe it will take a liking to the place and over winter.

When I returned an hour later, I gave it 10 minutes in the company of Graham S, but to no avail.  However, I came back at 2:30pm just before school pick up and within 5 minutes, crests were calling by the cross roads and there it was again.  I tracked it with 1-2 Goldcrests moving along the hedge towards the cottages for about half an hour before I had to leave.  A lovely little bird, that shows well on occasion, but can be hidden within the foliage, I just wish I had a proper camera to do it justice.  I've attached another massive crop from my point and shoot camera, as it looked at me from a hawthorn bush.


Not much else on site today.  A Green Sand flew over going north and a Yellow Wagtail flew over going south shortly followed by my first Skylark of the Autumn here going SE.  There are still warblers moving through, at least 6 Chiffchaff today in a small area, some singing, 4 Blackcap and a single Whitethroat.  The spit is swamped with Greylags at present, in excess of 300 birds, which doesn't leave much room for anything else!

I took a walk over Emmett's fields and found a Wheatear in one of the stubble fields, a few Linnet flying around, about 10 birds and 2 Ravens, which were flying with Red Kites and Buzzards.  A flock of 7 Mipits flying south was another sign of migration.


Yesterday, the highlight of my visit was a nice 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull, one of only a handful of LWHG on site.



No comments:

Post a Comment