Monday 21 July 2014

Some wader passage

20th July - I made an unusual weekend visit this morning.  The weather was quite muggy, being both humid and overcast.  Being a Sunday, I was a bit lazy and didn't arrive until about 9:30am, but on arrival one of the first birds I saw was a small wader in flight low over the lake.  Half expecting it to be one of several LRPs on site, I was pleased to get it in my bins and see a nice black belly.  It was an almost full summer Dunlin.  It made several passes at the spit before eventually landing.  A further scan of the spit found 2 Common Sands (there had been 4 the previous day) and 3 LRP, 2 adults and a juvenile.  Otherwise it was the usual fare, with a gathering of BHG on the near spit amongst which were 2 adult Common Gulls (these first appeared on the 14th); 6 juvenile Little Egrets from the two nests, plus a couple of adults and 3 male Pochard, continuing the sporadic appearance of post breeding ducks.

The 3 free flying juvs from the first nest

I walked to the meadow and spent a while watching a Tit/warbler flock moving along the railway bank.  This contained an adult and 2 juvenile Whitethroats, which made me wonder whether they had bred on site as the juvs looked recent and a male Whitethroat had started singing from the same spot along the bank about a week ago, suggesting post breeding.  I don't usually see many Whitethroats here.  Post breeding warblers are certainly moving though, as I had seen a Sedge Warbler in the southern reeds a couple of days before and they certainly don't breed on site.  In fact, I only had 2 or 3 go through in the Spring.  Garden Warbler, Blackcap and Chiffchaff were also seen in the flock.

Walking back up the western bank, I suddenly heard a Whimbrel call.  It sounded almost directly overhead, but I couldn't see it and my vantage point had many trees in the way.  Luckily, it continued to call and was obviously flying east, so I was eventually able to see it flying off into the distance.  Another wader I thought, though not a year tick, shame it didn't land.  This was at about 10:15am.  About 10 minutes later, I was still mid way along the west bank and scanning the spit to see the areas obscured by vegetation further up, when I heard the distinctive call of Wood Sandpiper.  Unfortunately, my position here was even more obscured by trees and the bird didn't call again, which frustratingly meant that I was not able to get on the bird.  I don't like claiming heard only birds, but Wood Sand has a distinctive and recognisable call, so I've put it on the list.  Hopefully another will actually land on the spit for better scrutiny.

With 3 waders new in (or over!) during the morning, I hung about for a further 30 minutes optimistically scanning the skies, but to no avail.  However, a nice leucistic BHG was another interesting bird to look at.  Not as fully white as some I've seen, but still quite washed out and looking very white in flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment