Monday 10 February 2014

Water levels still rising

10th February - I paid a lunchtime visit to see how much higher the water had risen since Friday.  The answer is by well over a foot and by all accounts the Thames is still rising!  The west bank is now worse than it was at the beginning of January, with the lake enveloping the path.  Curiosity got the better of me and I waded down the former path towards the railway to see what the flood meadows were like.  With care, it was just doable with wellies, the water level almost going over the top on several occasions in the shallowest areas.  There were few birds to speak of apart from a couple of Snipe washed out from the reed bed at the base of where the spit should be and lake levels were high enough to envelop the smaller islands and parts of the main island.  I took some photos for the record.

Top Friday, bottom today

Gate into the meadow Friday and today

West viewpoint - I usually watch from where the geese are

West path

Railway looking east

West path looking north

I hope this is OK! Water is a few inches below it by the railway gates

South western corner. Lake edge is beyond the trees.

River Thames floods and riverside houses on far bank

I was walking in this a couple of weeks ago, now several feet under

No comments:

Post a Comment