Monday 29 April 2013

Local Redstart and Whinchat

26th April - I wasn't working on Friday and the weather front that had moved through overnight looked good for depositing some interesting migrants.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get out early and by the time I arrived at 10am, if any waders had been present, they were long gone.  A summer plumaged Dunlin and single LRP were the only waders there.  A quick circuit didn't produce anything new either.

I got a text from Alan S in the early afternoon saying that 2 Whimbrel had arrived and as I happened to be passing, I popped in to see these 2 birds roosting on 1 leg on the spit - obviously taking a breather.

I checked out the paddocks at Pump Lane mid afternoon - not included in this patch, but part of my wider patch.  It is a very good site for passage Wheatear and chats.  I had already seen quite a few Wheatear here this Spring, but this afternoon there were an impressive 13 birds together in one of the paddocks.

Then news of Berkshire's first Bonaparte's Gull then broke - a lovely full summer adult - couldn't miss that, so raced off to Hosehill to enjoy this beauty - pics here.  My poor effort below:


27th April - I was out early.  A pair of Oystercatchers, flighty around the spit and a group of 3 Common Sands in the NE corner were the best of the waders.  The eastern paddocks held 5 Yellow Wags and warbler numbers were on the up - no less than 4 singing Reed Warblers, with just a single bird noted the previous day, a couple of Sedgies and my first Whitethroat of the year here.  Best bird was probably the 2cy Caspian Gull, which was resting on the spit with the loafing LWHG before flying off.  This is probably the bird I saw at nearby Fulmer on April 22nd.

Again, I stopped off at Pump Lane on the way home.  I was pretty cold and the Wheatear numbers were lower - I counted at least 5 birds, but they were distant at the north end of the valley, probably trying to shelter from the bitter breeze.  Whilst scoping these birds, I noticed a female Redstart hopping along at the base of the furthest hedge amongst the Wheatear.  It was distant, but obvious and stayed in this small area all day - using the hedgeline, fence and field for cover and food.

28th April - another early morning, but as it was -1.5 degrees when I got in the car, I wasn't hoping for much!  Just as well - I did add a couple of species to the year list that I'm surprised I still needed - a couple of Linnets in the northern field and a pair of Bullfinches along the concrete road.

Once again I visited Pump Lane and my reward was a female Whinchat.  This bird was using the short posts and wires in the top vine field, along with a couple of Wheatear.  The paddocks held just 2 Wheatear, whilst 2 Lesser Whitethroats were singing near here - 1 showing well.  I took a couple of record shots of the Whinchat, but this was quite difficult due to the mass of wires now in place for the vines.


No comments:

Post a Comment