Tuesday 23 April 2013

Lightning Strikes Twice

23rd April - I had a spare half hour before work, so decided to try and see some of the regular migrants that I'm still missing for the year.  As I walked towards the bench, I heard a distant trilling and thought I must be hearing things - surely not another Wood Warbler.  A couple more paces and boom! (as Martin Garner would say) there it is again, a singing Wood Warbler.  This bird was much more vocal than Saturday's and I was soon watching it flitting around the hedges and tree tops of the main path giving it's full repertoire.  I'd seen Mick M's car in the car park, so called him up - he was in the meadow, but was soon alongside enjoying the bird as well.  The news was duly put out and fortunately many people were able to see this bird as it remained on site for the rest of the day.  It was remaining fairly faithful to a small stretch of hedgerow just south and north of the bench on the west side, but also went into the STW and the cottage garden west of the path.

Some photos were taken by Jim R and Dave F and are on the Bucks website here . I will try and get one to post on my blog, but certainly one of Jim R's photos clearly show how white the undersides of this bird were, with yellow restricted to the sides of the upper breast and the chin.  This is obviously a different bird to Saturday's, as that showed more yellow in the throat and upper breast.

Thanks to Jim Rose for this shot of a lovely bird

I never got further than the Wood Warbler, so the other migrants will have to wait to get added to the year list!

No comments:

Post a Comment