Tuesday 26 March 2013

Ffffreezing!!!!

26th March - it's unbelievably cold, especially when that easterly wind blows.  Undeterred, I made a morning visit in search of some hardy migrants and at first failed completely.  However, at 9:30am, as I was giving up and leaving to stop frost bite setting in, I heard Redshank calling, which is the first migrant wader I've had this Spring (Winter!).  2 birds had flown in to the spit, but didn't look settled.  When a Herring Gull got too close, they upped and left, flying into the NE corner and then on northwards.

I then noticed an adult LBB Gull with a red darvic and white lettering on its left leg, but it refused to leave the water and so I couldn't read it.  Standing behind this bird was a 1w Med Gull that had crept in unnoticed.  I couldn't see a metal ring on its leg, so it might be a different bird to the recent one, though it too was in water most of the time, so I might have missed it.  An adult and near adult GBB Gull were the only other slightly out of the ordinary gulls.

A fly through Jay was also a late year tick.

Just off patch at the fields and paddocks around Pump Lane, I had found 3 male Wheatear last Sunday and so went for a further check this morning.  At first it looked quiet, but I then found a nice male Wheatear in the field east of the road next to the fenced off 'scrap' yard - I've not seen them in this particular field before.

No comments:

Post a Comment