Saturday 9 March 2013

Black and white birds make the day

9th March - a text from Alan S mid afternoon had me making an unusual weekend visit to the pit.  Kevin H had found an Avocet feeding around the spit.  I arrived about 10 minutes later to be told that the bird could not be found.  Not another dip I thought - I checked the spit, including the area at the base not visible from the bench and drew a blank, though 2 winter plumaged Dunlin were foraging, so I decided to check the flood meadows to see if it had flown there.  Good move, as there it was wading amongst the sedge growth on Spade Oak meadow - an excellent patch tick of a species that has very few records here.  Trying to get a record shot proved impossible in the end, as a Crow took a dislike to the bird and kept chasing it around the flood - the Avocet often calling as it flew.  It looked slightly more settled on the eastern end of the flood, so I decided to walk down that end to get closer, by which time it had flown back to the spit!

Anyway, in the SE corner, a male Goldeneye was showing with a group of Tufted Duck - another year tick that I had missed a few times so far, so all was not lost.  Another poor record shot in low light:


As I walked back, Alan S rang to say that the Avocet had flown off high SE.  I decided to check the flood again to see if it had doubled back there, but no luck, though a splendid full summer adult Med Gull had arrived (poor light, far away etc etc...)


So a very fruitful quick afternoon visit and I'm very grateful to Alan S for his timely text.

No comments:

Post a Comment