Wednesday 19 December 2012

Waxwing Bonus!

18th December - I haven't made many visits recently for various reasons.  The only different bird of note was a female Goosander on the 11th, which was too distant to see if it was the same as the previous bird or different, though a suspect a different bird.  This bird didn't hang around for long though!

I popped down this morning for a quick check.  Nothing out of the ordinary, though it was nice to see the spit reappearing after the rain.  The CR Lapwing was present again, but disappointingly I have had no response from anyone on the likely origins of this bird.  The markings suggest a German scheme.

I also made a quick visit before school pick-up where I joined Dick S.  Little change from the morning and the LWHG pre-roost didn't really materialise today.  Snipe are still around in good numbers - a count of 27 birds is probably lower than the actual number present.  Best bird of the day by far was found as we were leaving - a short trilling by a Starling-sized bird flying overhead from east to west alerted us to a lone Waxwing.  I got it in my bins before it disappeared over the STW and noted a pale tipped tail and stubby looking head.  It trilled again, presumably looking for other birds.  Maybe this will be the fore runner of some more birds in the locality.  Anyway, a fantastic patch tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment