Monday 31 December 2012

125 All Out

31st December - well 2012 draws to a close and my visit on the 23rd proved to be my last of the year.  My personal patch year list closes on 125 - I failed to include House Sparrow, which I didn't see around the lake itself but saw them apparently nesting on several of the houses in Church Lane in the Spring/Summer, so have added this on.

The overall site list was probably about 10 species higher than this, so something to aim for next year.  I have decided to take part in the Patchwork Challenge next year - see here which adds a bit more fun to it.  I'm using 125 species as a benchmark, as this was my first year list on this patch.

As always, I am grateful to the other local LMGP patchers who find birds and get the news out.

There are many highlights from the year and I have put a photo record of some of them below:

The white-winged gulls at the beginning of the year



An early Sandwich Tern


A Rock Pipit followed by another Sandwich Tern and the start of many Arctic Terns in April/May


Spring wader passage was a bit slow, but quite a few Whimbrel and a single Sanderling were noteworthy



Summer brought the usual build up of Yellow-legged Gulls, but at least 2 Caspians joined them, along with 2 mid-summer Med Gulls




Late summer brought a couple of Red-crested Pochards and a juvenile Black-necked Grebe



One of the main highlights of the year was the incredible flock of 19 Little Terns that arrived in mid August



August also brought a Turnstone, but further waders were few and far between until a Knot arrived for about 20 minutes during a foggy November day



A confiding male 1st winter Caspian Gull was one of at least 3 that appeared in November/December
 

1 or maybe 2 Goosanders put in a brief appearance and finally a flyover Waxwing in December


Roll on 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment