Friday 14 September 2012

Reduced to Counting Geese!

14th September - another nice day, but with westerly winds, little chance of seeing much.  No change at the lake this morning, so to give myself something to do, I decided to count the large number of Greylags roosting on the spit - 252 - sizeable, but I've seen more.  The lone Bar-headed Goose continues to hang out with this flock and is here on and off most of the time at present.  The 2 male Wigeon were still feeding on the spit as well.  A single Meadow Pipit SW and a small flock of 5 Linnets bouncing around were about it.

I'd seen some Mistle Thrushes around the church yard when I left last time, so this morning when they and another 50+ small birds flew into surrounding trees as I drove past, I decided to stop and take a look.  The small birds were mostly Goldfinch, with various Tits as well.  Mistle Thrushes were obvious and calling quite a bit, so too was a Nuthatch, a bird that has not crossed my path so far this year on the patch - probably because being a lousy patcher, I rarely walk around to the mature trees on the northern side of the lake where they tend to be!  The Nuthatch fell silent before I could see it, so I decided to leave.  As I reached the car, the Mistle Thrushes started calling and flying eastwards over my head and I was amazed to count 35 birds - I hadn't realised so many were there - fortunately, the Nuthatch also flew over and so put himself on the patch year list.

I decided to make a quick check of nearby Pump Lane paddocks just as it was starting to spit with rain and was pleased to find another Whinchat perched on fencing in the valley to the north of the path.  This is the 4th bird this autumn, but their appearances have been erratic.  This bird was quite mobile and at one point came close enough for one of my rubbish record shots - the other 3 had been very distant on the furthest fencing.

you can just about see what it is!
On my return to the house, 2 Ravens were circling over the valley with numerous Red Kites, which are more concentrated than usual at the moment due to all the ploughing activity churning up food for them.  So still quiet, but with some interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment