Sunday 16 September 2012

Another Med

16th September - a nice Sunday afternoon visit was typically greeted with the usual fare, but livened up when a Med Gull dropped in at about 3pm.  My first juvenile of the year, but unfortunately it had already moulted to 1st winter, so I have still to see a bird in juvenile plumage here.

When it arrived it was on the far spit in front of the island:

Initial view
A regular visitor had turned up just prior to this, a lady who spends many hours sitting on a chair, watching and feeding the birds and taking many photos of the assembled throng with a long lensed camera.  I said to her that if she threw out some bread, the Med might well fly in .... and sure enough, it did!  It came so close, that I couldn't digiscope, so took some hand held records instead:

Amongst the Greylags

Looking for bread

The lady's photos were superb, I wish I had some to show here.

Finally, it flew to the near spit where I could digiscope another record, before the gulls got spooked by a couple of Red Kites and the Med departed.



The 2 male Wigeon remained and Pochard had increased to 4 - I went home!

No comments:

Post a Comment