Tuesday, 15 March 2016

It's been a while

Well I've been ill and now I'm at home because my son is ill.  I do have a few updates, but I've also missed some good birds, which is bound to happen when off patch.

I had intended to do the gull roost way back on Saturday 5th, but did not feel up to it.  Usually, this wouldn't have been a problem, but that afternoon/evening, a lovely adult Kittiwake came in to roost and actually posed for photos on the near spit.  A bit galling, especially when I can see the pictures:


That evening also produced the juvenile Glaucous Gull and three different Med Gulls, so not a good one to miss! Kittiwake joins my ever growing list of good species missed so far this year.  I did manage three different Kittiwakes last year, so hopefully I've still got time to claw that one back.

The Glaucous Gull actually became quite regular at the roosts and appeared almost every night for a week and often early enough, in good light, for some nice photos.  Typically, at the moment, when I had a chance to visit the roost again, last Saturday 12th, it was the first night in ages that it didn't appear, though a nice adult Med Gull did put in an appearance.  Firstly, landing on the water for a wash and brush up. before disappearing within the ranks of Common Gulls.

I also quite liked this rather tired looking 1st winter Great Black-backed Gull, which are becoming very thin on the ground now.

I have managed another year tick, an Oystercatcher, that also turned up on the 5th, has been present on and off since and I first caught up with it on the 7th.

There hasn't been much else.  The pair of Shelduck are still lingering and wildfowl numbers are gradually dropping, but there have been few signs of much passage as yet.  Although, I have had some large counts of Meadow Pipits on the north side of the pit.  I counted 78 birds, all on overhead wires above a crop field, on the 8th, which is the largest count I can recall that haven't been over flying birds.

I also caught up with a flock of 320 strong Golden Plover back on the bare fields at Emmett's on the 8th.

Today sees the first returning Redshank, according to a text I've just received from Alan S.  They do not stay on site to breed, so it will be passing through.  It will have to wait for my list though, as I'm at home with my poorly son.

No comments:

Post a Comment