Tuesday 14 July 2015

Common Sand party!

14th July - When I arrived this morning after dropping the children at school, I was pleased to see five Common Sandpipers on the back of the spit - there hadn't been any yesterday, so obviously new arrivals.  However, a short while later, whilst I was viewing from the viewpoint, no fewer than ten Common Sands flew in a tight group past my position and onto the back of the near spit.  I wanted to check my count, so walked a bit further down the path and looked back up towards the spit.  The ten birds were huddled together and the initial five were still on view, so that made fifteen, certainly the largest count I've had here.  Alan S told me that nineteen birds is his highest count, but that this is his second highest.

The only other waders were a pair of Oystercatchers and a single adult LRP.  There were nine Little Egrets on view, though I had a sneaking suspicion there may have been ten.  A pair of adults and three juveniles appeared to be a family party and had joined two adults and our home grown two juveniles.

Four of yesterday's Yellow-legged Gulls were still present, two adults, the second summer and a single juvenile.  They were amongst about 200 or so LWHG, mainly immature Herring Gulls, including the first juvenile of the season.  I took some better shots of the juvenile YLG today.



No comments:

Post a Comment