Wednesday 12 March 2014

White Wagger

12th March - a lunchtime visit to the pit found the pair of Garganey once again on the western side and showing well in the sunshine.


A pair of Pintail were, for a change, feeding on the western side, with another pair viewable on the back of the spit.  Peter S informed me that he and Gerald M had counted 6 pairs, with most on the NE side of the spit.  Having not been to the eastern side to look and count the Pintail myself recently, I thought that this high count was a good opportunity to go, so decided to drive around to the Spade Oak pub (which saves some time).  Although looking into the sun, it was relatively easy to see all 6 pairs, so 12 birds and a high count for the season.


On the way back home, I paid a quick visit to Pump Lane, a favoured site for Wheatear, to see whether an early one might have dropped in.  Unfortunately not, but as I had noticed on my previous visit, there were into double figures of Pied Wagtails taking advantage of the horse dung, each seemingly laying claim to its own pile.  Amongst these was a smart male White Wagtail - quite an early one.  I only had 3 images spare on my memory card and it was a very active bird, so my best record of it is below:

No comments:

Post a Comment